Rashid Majid oglu Behbudov
14 December 1915
|Died||9 June 1989 (aged 73)|
Rashid Behbudov (Azerbaijani: Rəşid Məcid oğlu Behbudov, Azerbaijani Cyrillic: Рашид Бейбутов; 14 December 1915 – 9 June 1989) was a Soviet and Azerbaijani singer and actor. He has been referred to as the "golden voice of Azerbaijan". He performed his songs in multiple languages.
Rashid Behbudov was born in Tbilisi to an Azeri family in 1915. His father, Majid Behbudov, was a singer as well. His siblings included theatre director, Anvar Behbudov; and actress, Najiba Behbudova.
Between 1934 and 1944 Behbudov worked at the Philharmonic Theater in Yerevan. In the mid-1940s, composer and pianist Tofig Guliyev began creative collaboration with Behbudov. In 1945, upon the invitation of Tofig Guliyev, Rashid Behbudov moved to Baku. In the same year, he was assigned the main role of Asgar in the film The Cloth Peddler (1945 film) (Azerbaijani: Arşın Mal Alan), based on a play by Uzeyir Hajibeyov. His role in this film combined with his vocal skills brought him fame throughout Azerbaijan.
In a short time Behbudov became also prominent Azerbaijani pop singer. His combination of vocal masterpieces ranged from classical performances to lyrical songs. Behbudov's rare vocal talent gave him opportunity to travel beyond the "Iron Curtain" of the Soviet Union, and as a singer he toured with concert performances in several countries of the world, including Iran, Turkey, China, India, Japan, Argentina, and many other countries in Europe, Asia and Latin America. He sang his songs in Russian, Azerbaijani, Armenian, Georgian, and some dozen other languages.
Honors and awards
- People's Artiste of the Azerbaijan SSR
- People's Artist of the USSR (1959)
- Hero of Socialist Labour (23 April 1980)
- Two Orders of Lenin (6 January 1976, 23 April 1980)
- Order of the Red Banner of Labour (1 February 1966)
- Order of Friendship of Peoples (13 December 1985)
- Stalin Prize, 2nd class (1946) – for his role in the film Asker "Arshin Mal Alan" (1945)
- State Prize of the Azerbaijani SSR (1978)
Legacy and memory
On 14 December 2010 FLASHMOB Azerbaijan organized a flash mob to memorialize the honor of Rashid Behbudov and to celebrate the 95th jubilee anniversary of the famous representative of Azerbaijani music and culture.
- The Cloth Peddler (1945 film), as Asker
- Bakhtiar (film) (1955), as Bakhtiar
- The 1001st Tour (1974), as Eldar Aliyev
- Sturman, Janet (26 February 2019). The SAGE International Encyclopedia of Music and Culture. SAGE Publications. p. 601. ISBN 978-1-5063-5337-1.
- Gasimov, Zaur (20 December 2017). Historical Dictionary of Azerbaijan. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 65. ISBN 978-1-5381-1042-3.
- Huseynova, Aida (21 March 2016). Music of Azerbaijan: From Mugham to Opera. Indiana University Press. p. 211. ISBN 978-0-253-01949-3.
- Photo Essay: Film "Arshin Mal Alan" (The Cloth Peddler), Musical Comedy by Uzeyir Hajibeyov, Azerbaijan International, Vol. 5:3 (Autumn 1997), pp. 54–56.
- Libretto for Arshin Mal Alan in English or Azeri at HAJIBEYOV.com
- Sharifov, Azad (Winter 1997). "Rashid Behbudov: With a Song in His Heart". Azerbaijan International. Vol. 5, no. 4. pp. 58–61. Retrieved 5 November 2021.
- Shrayer-Petrov, David (28 April 2014). Dinner with Stalin and Other Stories. Syracuse University Press. p. 231. ISBN 978-0-8156-5278-6.
- "AZƏRBAYCAN RESPUBLİKASI PREZİDENTİNİN SƏRƏNCAMI" [Decree of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan]. e-qanun.az. September 2006. Archived from the original on 23 September 2017.
- Ədəbiyyat, incəsənət və arxitektura sahəsində 1978-ci il Azərbaycan SSR Dövlət mükafatlarının verilməsi haqqında Azərbaycan KP MK-nın və Azərbaycan SSR Nazirlər Sovetinin 1978-ci il tarixli Qərarı — anl.az saytı
- Qara Məşədiyev, "Bakı küçələri: adlar və talelər" (Streets of Baku: Names and Fates), Baki: "Elm və təhsil", 2013.
- on YouTube
- "President Ilham Aliyev unveiled monument to world-renowned singer Rashid Behbudov VIDEO". Azerbaijan State News Agency. 4 October 2016. Archived from the original on 10 October 2016. Retrieved 12 April 2022.
- Rashid Behbudov at IMDb
- Listen to Rashid Behbudov, Music Section of Azerbaijan International
- CD series: "Arshin Mal Alan (The Cloth Peddler)". Azerbaijan International. Vol. 9, no. 3. Autumn 2001. p. 58.
- Sadikhov, Chinghiz (Autumn 2002). "The Show Must Go On: Memories of Accompanying Azerbaijan's Greatest Singers". Azerbaijan International. Vol. 10, no. 3. pp. 60–63.